5 REASONS WHY WOMEN SHOULD LIFT WEIGHTS
Lifting weights is, and has been a growing habit amongst all gym goers for some time.
Much of our female client base, before coming to us, would steer clear of the weight area.
Some noted feeling intimidated by the environment and others highlighted an inability to use the equipment safely.
One of the main fears women have about lifting weights is getting bulky. The truth is, women typically have much less testosterone than men which is the primary muscle building hormone. This makes it very difficult to pack on tons of muscle.
Some of the main benefits of weight training are:
1. Being physically stronger – Increasing strength which makes daily tasks and routines much easier, with less risk of injury. Strength training not only builds stronger muscles but also stronger bones and connective tissue.
2. As a result, this reduces the risk of injury. Lifting weights can be your best defense against osteoporosis.
3. More effective fat loss through Increased EPOC (Excessive post-exercise oxygen consumption). This is commonly known as the after burn effect where your body uses more oxygen post-exercise than pre-exercise.
4. Increased confidence – Many of our clients report feeling more confident and capable as a result of weight training. The sense of accomplishment of tasks they never imagined completing when first embarking on a healthy lifestyle journey is all important. The benefits of increased confidence carries over into their personal life and other challenges become less grueling.
5. Reduces body fat – With weight training comes the increase in lean muscle mass and an increased metabolic rate which makes you more efficient at burning fat.